Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spring Harvest Corned Beef

And now for a recipe!!! I took a short cut by buying a pre-corned corned beef - ha ha - hey - I'm all about the shortcuts!!
I had planned on doing this for St. Patrick's Day, but wound up horribly sick that day - so, I'm making it now - who says corned beef is only once a year - and if so, well, mark this recipe and try it for next St. Paddy's - I think you'll find it a new and delicious change from the original.


1.5 - 2 lbs corned beef (precooked)
1 small head cabbage
1 fennel bulb
1 LARGE or 2 smaller sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks
3 small gala apples, cored and sliced, thickly
1 large palmful (approximately 1 Tbsp) Pickling spice
1/2 carton vegetable broth
2 cups apple juice
water to fill crock to 1 inch below rim

Put everything in your crock pot on High for 2 hours or until vegetables are fork tender. Remember, the corned beef is precooked, you just need to warm it thoroughly and cook the vegetables through.

I'll be honest - I haven't actually tried this - it's in the crock pot, as I write - so I'll review it after it's finished - but since I've recently had a friend, as well as my loving husband tell me to "Write them down!!!" I thought it best to do so, and do so now.

So, here you go - I hope you enjoy!!

Lyn

2 comments:

  1. Ok - ADDENDUM!!!! Definitely cook on HIGH in the crock pot for at LEAST 4 hours. I told you I was in the process of doing this one - so far so good - I think 4 hours is going to do it - but luckily started early enough that if it's later, we'll just have a later dinner..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I do remind you, the blog is called the Spontaneous Life - and that's pretty much it in a nutshell - so I'm on hour 3.5 and suddenly realize I don't want this corned beef turning into ashy not-goodness - so, I take it out of the crockpot and cover it in foil and let the sweet potatoes cook a bit more. I am beginning to think this may have been more of an on-the-stove type recipe - but this goes to prove a point. None of us are perfect - there are plenty of times when we go to cook a dinnner and don't have everything on hand, so we substitute whatever we think will work, or we make a failed attempt at a recipe and resort to frozen pizza or takeout - the point is to try - to try to be spontaneous - to write it down and let the world see us in all of our imperfections... I must admit - it is starting to smell heavenly in there.

    ReplyDelete